Friday, June 26, 2009

First update on our newest addition - Faith Celeste Marr


John and I are blessed to have another little one in the family. I am now 14 weeks pregnant with another baby girl. Along with this great news is also a huge prayer request. Our precious little one has Down Syndrome (DS). I know that many of you will have lots of questions, so we have created this blog to help everyone understand what has been going on and everything that has led up to now.

We had been trying to conceive since last September. I then got pregnant and soon miscarried after 6 weeks in January. Then finally in April we got the best news (via 2 lines on a pregnancy stick). We had decided to keep things quiet about the baby until I was 3 months and had a lower risk for miscarriage.

I had my first prenatal visit at 9 weeks and no heart beat was found with the normal doplar, so I was given an early ultrasound (which the picture above was taken at). Through that ultrasound we were advised to go to OHSU to get a second opinion as they saw extra fluid in the nuchal sac behind the neck which is indicative of chromosomal abnormalities and/or congenital heart problems.

The OHSU ultrasound was not as we hoped. Not only was the nuchal sac enlarged but the baby also has fluid in her lungs and under her skin. The doctor was very concerned for the baby's health and she said it seems as if the baby is undergoing heart failure because of all these signs at such an early stage. She believed the baby to have even a more serious birth defect than DS (ie Trisomy 13 or 18). Also that I am very likely to have a miscarriage at any time during the pregnancy and there is no chance that the baby would survive more than a year if I went to full term. So immediately she offered to terminate the baby. Of course, we declined and would never have come to that conclusion. We then asked to take further diagnostic testing to see exactly what type of birth defect she has. They called us with results in 2 days and told us that she has Down Syndrome, but nothing more severe. Praise God!

Although her birth defects aren't as severe as we had thought, the baby is still at risk. I may still miscarry or have a still birth. She might be having heart failure. But we have hope and are looking into a third opinion (one with a more pro-life view and approach). So we have decided to transfer care to St. Vincent's hospital. I am scheduled for another ultrasound on July 6th and we are praying that her health has improved. After that they will do an echocardiogram on the baby's heart to see how serious her condition is.

All this to say, we covet all your prayers. Please pray for the baby's health and that she comes to full term. Also that she would be high functioning once born and has a good quality of life. Please also pray for our family, peace and strength. We know without a doubt that God is in full control and has given us this precious baby. And we trust that He has her in His hands. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and for all your support.

Blessings, Gizelle

9 comments:

  1. Our Heavenly Father knows...we'll be in prayer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gizelle. I've never met you, but was at GCS with John many years ago. Dar posted a link to your blog. I will pray for you all and for your precious baby. I've had two miscarriages and know how devastating it is, and how hard it is not to be fearful after that. I pray that you will have peace, for God's hand to be on your baby, and that He would be glorified through your family through this.
    In Christ's love,
    Rebeca

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be praying for your family and your little one.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is so good and has been so faithful to your family. Thank you for sharing and giving your christian family an opportunity to pray and support you. My family's prayers are with yours and we will look forward to seeing how God will be glorified in this situation. All peace and comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are heavy on my heart. I have you all in our prayers. Thanks you for the blog, it helps us keep up on your progress and helps us better know how to pray for you. Love ya all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gizelle, you are an inspiration to me and I am in awe of how the Lord is using you. The strength of your family in this difficult time is amazing! Your entire family is in our prayers. If you don't mind I would like to send to my church's prayer chain.
    I love you sis!
    Most importantly God loves you even more!

    Sincerely,
    Gabby Zaragoza (Correa)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gizelle,

    I saw a prayer request for you from Yabne on FB who is a friend of a friend. l feel very privileged to be able to pray for you and your family. You see, I am the mother of a 17 yo DS boy. Ryan is my fourth child also. Since I waived all the testing (amnio, etc.), we didn’t know he had DS until his birth. Ryan was in distress during labor so they gave me oxygen. Once delivered, I could see he was literally blue and we were told he had fluid in his lungs. He was whisked away so quickly for oxygen treatment, I didn’t get to hold him. For days we did not know if he would survive. Ryan was born four weeks early and after 3 weeks in neonatal intensive care, we were able to bring him home. Some days have been hard, but what a blessing and joy he is. I know that God has a purpose for Ryan just as God has a purpose for your little one. I will be praying and waiting to read what God is doing in your lives. He is so good ALL the time!

    God bless you!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Marr Family
    I was your little boy's pe teacher at Bethel this last year and I wanted to let you know that I will praying for you. We are going through a situation very similiar out baby was diagnosed with Trisomy 18. She is due August 27th if she goes full term. We went to St. Vincent and they were pretty sure of all her issues that she has. I will keep Faith and your family in our prayers.
    Mrs. Beth Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. Bennett, We will also be praying for you and your little girl. You've already come a long way in your pregnancy. Praise the Lord!

    Gizelle

    ReplyDelete